Friday, March 04, 2005

End of another week

Well, this has been an eventful week, even if I did not get many lines of code done. Five days in Prague was a bit much. It is a beautiful city and I drank my share of beer and I love the food, but after only 3 days of conference, I'm all bentleyed out. Not much interesting at the conference (which is a bit of a surprise when you consider that 4 months ago they were talking about a looming MS pre-release in Feb/March).

The other big news is the weather. In Prague everything was good, -7 to -12, a bit of snow and everyone knows how to live with it (it was a bit cool for a stroll on the bridge in my little jacket, but like any canadian - I'm tough, I can take it). But getting back to Paris, was a mess. Snow, slush, crappy roads, slick summer tires and bozos everywhere. In the end, I left my car at the office and came home on the train. Then I did the two ways to the in-laws to pick up the boys (a seven hour stroll across half of france).

In business, we talked seriously to two groups. First the holland group that manages the web application. I can see they are going to suffer with this "what do we do for clients who want to use linux/firefox or macintosh/safari" question. I am not dedicated to serving these clients, but if we abandon them, I would prefer to do it with our eyes wide open.

The second group was a german organization that we may be able to cooperate with. Given the size of our two companies, a shared source solution might make a lot of sense. I don't know if we have the technical and legal savey to pull it off however.

No comments: